The Fraser Centre Community Trust was set up in 2011 to build a community centre in the heart of Tranent. Tranent is the only main town in east Lothian without one. To find out more about our capital building project to create a community centre for learning, development, arts & entertainment Capital project
The Fraser Centre would like to thank all the individuals, groups and businesses for their support. To see our funders please click here.
The Fraser Centre is a 700 seater 1900’s style cinema owned by Kingdom Outreach Ministries (KOM, a Christian Trust) since 1996. The building is situated in the heart of Tranent, East Lothian. Tranent is in the Faside constituency which has around 14,000 residents with varying needs and desires for their community.
In 2002 KOM trustees decided they could no longer afford the high heating costs, but kept the venue open by renting part of it to The Fraser Christian Centre. In 2011 KOM agreed a long term lease with a new body, The Fraser Centre Community Trust (FCCT).
FCCT aims to provide a Community Hub to address the social/economic needs of Tranent:
- To coordinate training and education activities to engage all community members.
- To promote The Fraser Centre building as a quality local venue for arts and entertainment activities. These may include conferences, training projects, concerts and a cinema, with a focus on family entertainment.
- To develop social enterprise initiatives to contribute to the sustainability of The Fraser Centre.
The Hub will be open to all members of the community and will support itself by hiring out facilities and developing its own ideas for social enterprise. A phased development will be necessary to provide the flexible space to meet these aims.
- Phase 1 will improve the letting potential of the areas which can be let out immediately.
- Phase 2 would concentrate on refurbishing the main auditorium for use by the public and creating new, sustainable heating.
- Phase 3 would look to create further workshop and office accommodation for use as a social enterprise hub.